The Lighthouse of Alexandroupolis
The Lighthouse of Alexandroupolis is the landmark of the city. It operates under the direct supervision of the personnel of Lighthouse Service and is one of the few supervised lighthouses in existence today.It was constructed by the French Lighthouse company and came in operation in 1880. It illuminates 25 nautical miles distance. It is 18 meters high and 27 from sea level.
Monastery of Panagia Kosmosotira
The monastery of Panayia Kosmosotira was completed in 1152 by Isaakios Komninos, son of Alexios Komninos the first. The Monastery includes a fortified enclosure (walls, towers and gate) and a registered two-columned catholic church, in the cruciform style, with a five - dome roofing. The various frescoes are fine examples of 12th century art of the Constantinople School. In the northeast corner of the church there is a ceramic ornament displaying an eagle. The central arch, the pre-chamber and the four struts on the outside were repaired at later times.
The Evros Delta
ΤThousands of birds find shelter and food throughout the year at the Evros Delta. It an essential resource, not only for the local community but for the whole humanity as well, due to its value for fishing, livestock, agriculture, climate, flood protection, education, recreation and science. Nowadays, about half of the area of the wetland has been designated as protected, while more than 100,000 acres have been drained. Some of the most important parts of the area have been yielded to crop cultivation, downgrading the value of the wetland, especially for the breeding of wild animals. The numerous bird breeding in the Evros Delta (geese, herons, pelicans ,swans), the various fish species and the wild mammals are now only reported in narrations that bring nothing but memories and nostalgia. Despite all these, the Evros Delta is of vital importance for the wildlife, especially for birds, which are an attraction for many visitors, students, scientists and observers.
Museum of the tradition of Sarakatsani
The Association Sarakatsani of Evros, after years of attempts to gather authentic material associated with the Sarakatsani tradition, managed to create a remarkable collection, which by June 2005 is housed in the Museum of Sarakatsani of Evros. The Museum is located in Aisymi on a land, granted by the Municipality to the Association. The original form of the museum has changed, as its space has expanded and remodeled. The museum in its current form was launched in 2009. It is space that exhibits all the history and tradition of Sarakatsani and where visitors can gain a comprehensive picture of the phases of social and economic organization of this Greek nomadic sheet. On the ground floor there are exhibited business and household items, textiles, apparels, valuable documents and many other interesting material. On the second floor there is a loom and a representative scene of the Sarakatsani’ life. There is also an exhibition of old photographs. On the same floor there is a fully equipped room with modern media to inform the visitors. The visit to the museum can be combined with a visit to the summer "Sarakatsan Traditional Settlement" that the club created in Leptokarya of Aisymi.
The remains of the important Roman city of Traianoupolis are located 14 km east of Alexandroupolis. The city was founded by the Emperor Marcus Victor Trajan (98-117 AD) on the main axis of the prominent Via Egnatia. The location was probably chosen because of the thermal springs, which operate until today. The Romans maintained the Greek institutions on civil organization and according to inscriptions and coins testaments we are aware of the existence of a sacred senate, several municipalities and tribes. The most remarkable building is Hannah, a rectangular arched building dated back to the second half of the 4th century BC, which was used as a guesthouse. Behind this building the medicinal baths of the Ottoman era (16th century) are located. Ruins of a church can still be seen on the hill of Ayios Georgios, a possible Acropolis of the Roman settlement. Visitors can also see the remnants of a Turkish opium den, known as Isiklar, as was described by the Turkish traveler Evliyia Tselembe in 1668. Trajanoupolis, with the homonyms thermal springs, not only hosts guests for spa and mineral water treatments, but also many others who want to enjoy the beauty of the area or just visit the spa. The reason that these thermal springs are so famous is that are rich in hydro-sulfur-chloride-sodium and their thermal mineral water can help to the treatment of many diseases such as rheumatism, slipped disk, and problems in the liver and kidneys. Those who visit the spa can choose whether to stay in the hotel within the premises or in hotels located nearby. More information:www.tieda.gr
Medieval fortifications of Avanta
A short distance from Alexandroupoli, about 8 km. North on the road to the village Avantas, facing one on the hill the ruins of medieval fortifications of Avanta and the river. Preserved towers and parts of the walls dating back to the second half of 13th century. or in the first half of the 14th. In one version the fortification projects built by the Genoese Gattilusi, who had occupied the area after the 4th Crusade. Newer views identify fortress with Byzantine Peristeria. The fortresses they had significant civilian importance, as they controlled the valley and the passes to the plain of Komotini and towards the interior of the Rhodope massif. The hill fortress habitation and presents prehistoric and archaic times. The area is pretty rough, especially the castle of Avanta and a point on the climb only on foot. But the towers are visible from the road, and can provide a stimulus for discussion about the history of the area in the Byzantine and post-Byzantine times.